“Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” – the White Queen, Alice in Wonderland.
What are the six impossible things you believe in? (If you can only manage one or two, that’s also okay.)
Firstly, Alice in Wonderland quote. Beautiful.
- Miracles: I totally believe in miracles. Not the type where, “God is watching over you! You’ve been saved-a!” but the real life miracles that happen every day. People survive events where no man should have survived (animals too), babies are born, just… weird things happen. A person that never should have walked that is walking… I got called a miracle. I shouldn’t be walking but I am. It’s just little things that happen every day.
- Spirits: I believe in the other side, you know, life after death. Just like everyone else, I am uncertain about what comes after death, but there has to be something else. “Energy can neither be destroyed nor created.” A lot of people may think I’m crazy, but certain… abilities… run in the family. Ever since I was a child, I’ve been able to sense things, feel things, hear things, see things. I saw my Poppy, that had passed away, standing in my Nana’s hallway when I was 11. It isn’t always seeing things, it’s that brush of cold air that gives you chills, or the way the hair on the back of your neck stands up. I’ve had far too many experiences to dismiss them. Good and evil.
- Aliens: Aren’t we the aliens? The universe is vast, there is no way we’re the only living creatures out there. No, I don’t believe there are little green men wanting to abduct us, but I do believe there is more life out there, somewhere out there.
- Bigfoot: A lot of people don’t believe in Bigfoot or Skunk-ape (whatever you want to call him), or most creatures (Jersey Devil, Mothman, etc.) for that matter. I truly believe Bigfoot is real, he is. I’m sure there’s a whole family of them living out there! How can people dismiss this? There is so much uncharted territory in Canada alone, imagine the rest of the world. Look at the Amazon – we haven’t been in most of that! Just because something has a silly name, doesn’t mean it can’t be real. We’re finding new species everyday, things we thought were extinct, things that we never knew existed. The world is a big place, we don’t know everything, get over yourselves!
- Me walking better: This is completely impossible. I have spina bifida, my gait is off, my feet are weird, my legs are weak, my hips aren’t in the right places because one leg is shorter than the other… I believe one day I’ll walk, maybe not perfectly, but better than I do now. I think I need to lose weight and start training myself. I believe if I could accomplish this, my pain would lessen. If I can’t, well, no big deal!
- Happiness and love: A lot of people say happiness and love aren’t real. They aren’t, not exactly, not in the way we feel them. They’re chemical reactions in the brain! That doesn’t matter to me, to me, I believe in these. I believe that happiness can put a smile on everyone’s face and love can change the world.
I believe in a lot. I’m sure if I took the time, I could come up with far better ideas, but I’m getting tired. It’s been a long day.